Below are answers to commonly asked questions about our B’nai Mitzvah program.
When does the program run?
Classes are held on Sundays, from 10 am to 12 pm at the Jewish Heritage School, from September through May.
When should I enroll my child?
Your child should finish their program before (or shortly before) their Bar/Bat Mitzvah.
If your event is booked for spring or summer, your child should join the program in September of that year.If your event is booked for fall or winter, your child should join the program in September of the previous year.
What is the program about?
There are three goals this program sets to accomplish:
- Students will learn about the responsibilities associated with the Gil Mitzvah rite of passage and prepare for them
- Students will explore and begin to establish their Jewish identities. They will apply their unique abilities to contribute to Tikkun Olam (bettering the world through social action)
- Students will discover ways to continue to enhance their Jewish Identities after the program ends and to demonstrate Ol Mitzvot as young adults
How will this program prepare my child for their Bar/Bat Mitzvah?
Our program is project-based. All projects will help prepare your child for their Bar/Bat Mitzvah service, and beyond. They include:
- Tzedakah Collection Day – the importance of giving Tzedakah
- Dvar Torah Project – how to write an excellent Bar/Bat Mitzvah speech
- Tallit Art Project – learning about Gil Mitzvah responsibilities by designing personalized Tallitot
- Several Intergenerational Volunteer Projects, and a Personal Volunteer Opportunity – volunteering within Habonim’s community, Toronto’s Jewish Community and the GTA community at large
- Hebrew, Jewish History and Prayer Crash Courses
Are parents expected to attend?
Families are invited to join us a few times throughout the year:
- Family Orientation in September
- Sukkot Celebration in October
- Visit to the Holocaust Education Centre in November
- Purim Carnival in March
- End of the Year Celebration in May
Who will teach my child their Torah portion?
Contact Adi, or the Habonim office for a list of tutors. Lessons should be scheduled directly with the tutor, and should start 6-12 months before the Bar/Bat Mitzvah date.
How much does this program cost?
The program fees are included in Habonim’s Bar/Bat Mitzvah fees. Families who are not having a Bar/Bat Mitzvah with us are also welcome to join the program, please contact Adi or the Habonim office for details.
If you still have more questions, please contact Adi at firstname.lastname@example.org.